Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Sunday 15 January 2012

Review: Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare

Author: Cassandra Clare
Release Date: August 31st 2010
Publisher:Walker Books (UK)

Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

 The plot was definitely something that surpassed the whole Mortal Instruments series, I remember when I was reading City of Bones and I was never that involved in the plot. To be fair, some minor parts of the book was merely predictable, but it never took out the excitement and enjoyment of the actual reading. 

Never did I expect that I would love this cast of characters. Tessa, Will, Jem, Charlotte and Henry, Jessamine and Sophie, Thomas and Agatha. Gosh, I don't know why but I love this cast better than TMI series. Cassie Clare's writing was lush and gorgeous, with sharp and witty dialogue (that we all know her for) but never stepping that fine line between humor and tacky comedy.

This has got to be the most well done love triangle EVER. I can't even pick sides and teams, both guys bring out the best and worst in Tessa, and I really don't know who I want her to end up with in the end (I do know,however, the ending to CP since I've read a spoiler review of that by accident). Jem is probably the most sweetest gentleman on the planet and Will. Oh Will, how I longed to hug him. Will; sarcastic, troubled and sad. Yep, just my kinda guy.

I didn't expect to like Tessa as much as I did. I love that she was very calm (most of the time), classy, intelligent and level-headed. There was never a time when I wanted to bitch-slap her (like I do with most of YA heroines) and I think she deserves the YA heroine title much more than Clary (who annoyed me to no ends, who's disobedient and careless). 

The pace was steady; never slow, never fast, which I didn't mind. Though, I admit on one or two occasions where there was too much telling (and not enough showing) and backstory - which I completely understand, for it helps readers to understand this world if they haven't read TMI. But sometimes this world is just too complex, too much. It's too smart for my brain. Oops. 

I do believe that you don't have to read any of the Mortal Instruments (City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels) to read this series. Each first book has enough information so you won't get lost. But reading and knowing about both just adds that tiny bit of wow-I-know-what-they're-talking-about kinda thing.

I do own a copy of Clockwork Prince so I can't wait to dive into that, but first - five more books before that reading CP.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...