Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Thursday 1 March 2012

Review: Nevermore - Kelly Creagh

Author: Kelly Creagh
Release Date: August 31st 2010
Publisher: Atheneum
Source: Bought (Kindle)

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it.
I didn't know a thing about Edgar Allen Poe before I started reading this book. Except that he's some writer-poet type person. So me and this book didn't exactly started out as best buddies when I was so effing confused by the first chapter alone. BUT. I really wanted to read this book since some of my blogger friends said it was amazing and one of their favourites..so YES. I had to read this.

At the beginning, I loved the simple concept. Goth and cheerleader paired for a school project and ending up in love? *Raises my hand* YES please! I loved the high-school hierarchy and I hated her old friends. To be honest, I found this very realistic, hell I could clearly see some of the people at school acting like Isobel's snobby old friends and bullying Varen.

Isobel was okay, I admired that she has her hobbies and passions and when she starts falling in love with Varen, her life didn't revolve around his. I love her adorable little brother Danny! And her family all had different personalities and I was glad that they acted like a real family. I hate it when authors portray parents (or they don't have any at all) as some sort of dumb cardboard cutouts who don't give a shit about their children and is only there for the sake of there being a parent.  

Varen was obviously mysterious. Even after reading the book, I still feel like I don't really know him at all. But I did quite like him though, which was a surprise for me because I don't really like goths or emos or whatever. And he makes a lip ring sounds so hot. Speaking of that, the love story was okay, I appreciate that it was slow-building, and they started out as basically enemies (I loved their interaction earlier on the story) and then as friends. BUT I STILL EXPECTED MORE. 

The first half of the book was flawless, but unfortunate I can't say the same for the second. It started to go downhill, and I felt like all the mystery and the confusion just dragged on AND on, and so my sole reason for carrying on with reading was to just frigging find out what's happening. Imagine my craziness exploding when I didn't find any ,or maybe I just missed it.

What really disappointed me was the lack of explanation of the things happening. Like, I never really had an idea of what happened to Varen and who is Reynold, Pinfeather etc.? 
 The ending was really abrupt and as I said before, lacks any explanation. I really really wanted to like this, since so much of you guys do, but maybe I just expected a bit too much.

The writing was nothing special. Too simple, and at times it was SO boring and everything! Geez. Overall, I was really disappointed with this book, and I personally preferred it without all the paranormal/fantasy business (just contemporary love story). I might still read the sequel when it comes out, but I won't be selling my right arm for that just yet. 




4 comments:

  1. It is the first book in a trilogy so that is why most of the questions went unanswered. I know Reynolds plays a part in the sequel and I'm assuming questions about him will be answered. I also thought that Varen and Isobel's romance was one of the best in YA. Sad you didn't like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm sad too that I didn't like it :( I know this is a trilogy but I don't know, maybe my expectations was too high? :(

      Delete
  2. Great review! Pity you didn't like this so much :( I thought from the summary that is sounded a bit like Twilight, and wasn't too keen on it. Now I definitely don't want to! Thanks for the review though anyway!

    I'm a new follower, I love your blog, it's gorgeous! I found you through Goodreads, I would LOVE if you would follow my blog back! Thanks :)

    http://booksterreviews-cliona.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cliona! It is a bit like Twilight, and in some ways better!

    Thanks for the follow! Love your blog too! :) New follower :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...