Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Review: The Catastrophic History of You and Me - Jess Rothenberg

Author: Jess Rothenberg
Release Date: February 21st 2012
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 400
Source: Bought

Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever.

BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally.

But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?

I went into reading this not knowing how emotional this will be! By the cover, you'd think that this will just be a cute, fluffy read? Oh noes. Get your tissues ready people, because this book, will literally break your heart into two. 

Brie was so relatable! All her actions and reactions after she died (and before) was thoroughly justified, and seems very reasonable for her age. I'm currently the same age as she was (15) when she died, and I love reading the revenge on her boyfriend and best friend scenes! Let me tell you guys, if THAT happened to me, they would get a whole lotta more shit than that. But they redeemed themselves in the end, or rather, Brie found out something, which made everything FINE.

I wanted to more of Brie and her best friends' relationship with each other. Like I knew they were the closest friends, but it didn't really feel like that at all. The only developed one was Sadie, and even then if you ask me to describe her in three words, I would be speechless, and not in a good way, either.

There was two VERY surprising twists near the end. And it changes your reading after, and all along I was thinking, why didn't I didn't I think of that before? Now it makes sense.

The relationship between Patrick, her 'guardian' and Brie was very sweet and cute. I loved their interactions with each other. But like I said with the characters in this book, I wanted more depth, and meaning.

Overall, this is a very short, fun and sweet contemporary romance read!




1 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Jana! I've wanted to read this for ages now and I like books that make readers cry :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...