Home    About Me    Reviews    My Policy    Contact    Faves    Book Swap    Archive    2012 Reads

Saturday 22 September 2012

Review: Ten - Gretchen McNeil

Ten Title: Ten
Author: Gretchen McNeil
Release Date: September 18th 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Horror Suspense and Mystery
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Pages: 304
Source: Bought

And their doom comes swiftly.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?
 
THIS BOOK. People, this book got me in trouble OK. Yes. You heard me. I had to go to my school's 'Catch Up Club' two days ago because I nearly fell asleep during a class and I was walking around like a freaking zombie. AND I NEVER USED TO GET IN TROUBLE. Until now. You wanna know the reason why? Because this book had me shitting myself and I couldn't sleep after reading it at night. Sounds fab, right?

Surprisingly, this book got a 5 goddess rating even when I didn't like ANY of the characters. You heard me, I disliked them all. And you guys know how much I need to like the characters to continue reading. But in this case, I still found myself flipping through the pages. 

The main character Meg was a little, well, boring. She was nothing special or anything like that. I'm actually finding it hard to talk about her. Both good and bad. That means she didn't really stand out or anything. But then again, the author might have done this deliberately as to not distract from the plot itself.

As you can see, there are TEN major characters in this book. It's right there on the title. Duh. Anyway, at the start I was worried that I wouldn't remember all of them, that some characters would mesh together in my mind and I would have trouble matching the names to their personality. Luckily, that didn't happen. All of them were very different and interesting. (Except for Meg - she was boring.) I think my favourite was T.J. And Gunner :)

Can I just say how much I freaking hate Minnie? (and guys I'm not talking about Minnie Mouse - that's another discussion for another day) Seriously, if I have a friend like Minnie I would like, kill myself. I want to bitch slap her. 

I love the way the author wrote this. It was very suspenseful, mysterious, and just downright creepy. I'm the biggest wimp ever, and I normally don't even read horror or anything like that. But this was such an exception. I don't regret reading it even though I was scared shitless. Like, I couldn't even close my eyes at night. Yeah, I totally blame this book that I was nearly falling asleep during Ethics class. Yep. 

I was suspicious of every character. Which is a good thing, people. Whenever I think "Oh, it's definitely them", the author steers me away the very second. There were a lot of twists and turns. And I loved every second of it. Bear in mind I haven't figured out who the killer was. TOTALLY took me by surprise. Yay!!

This was my first book by Gretchen McNeil, but it won't certainly be the last. I might have to check out her first book out last year, POSSESS. :)


2 comments:

  1. I got it last night, but now I'm even more hyped to read it. Good thing it's weekend - I don't think my boss would like zombie-me.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Because this book had me shitting myself" :D Ahahaha! Great review! This one has been on my wishlist for a few months and I'm so glad everyone loves it so much! I don't even care if I won't be able to sleep - I need to read this. ASAP.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...